Monday

DIY T-Shirt Scarf

As a college student, I am always on a budget. Even when I get the odd card from a generous relative with money in it, it always seems to disappear in a few days, mostly for food. I am always looking for ways to spruce up my wardrobe without spending a lot.

Coming from Michigan, I thought there was no way I’d need things like scarves to keep warm. Recently Arizona has taught me that I was wrong. So, with my strict budget, I thought I’d show you all how to make a scarf. 

It isn't too difficult to do and only takes around 15 minutes. The best part of it is the cost, which for me was nothing. You could get a t-shirt from a thrift store and the cost would still be very low.

To start you’ll need a shirt, it can be plain or have a design, anything goes.


Step one: Cut the shirt from armpit to armpit. That part can be discarded. Then cut off the hem of the shirt. Don't discard this, it will come into play later on. 


Step two: Flip the shirt so the seam would be the top and bottom. Cut the shirt into strips. You can measure them if you’d like, but it isn’t necessary. You will want to leave about an inch of space at the top.


Step three: Stretch out each strip, you can do this individually or all at once. The more you stretch a strip, the longer the end product will be.


Step four: This is where you can get creative. You can braid a section of the scarf, then tie it using the hem and leave the rest of it loose, or you can leave it as is. I chose to wrap the hem around the section that was originally at the top of the shirt and then tie it off.

The finished product will look like this:


It’s the perfect fall/winter accessory for any young adult living on a budget. It’s not time consuming, it’s fashionable and it costs next to nothing. 

Kyra Wennersten
Photo Credits: Kyra Wennersten