Monday

The aftermath of Black Friday

I’ll admit that I was a little bit crazy to volunteer to work Black Friday, but money is money right? Though trying to park to clock-in on time for my shift was a challenge and so was weaving my way through the mall between ladies’ massive Victoria’s Secret bags, parents wielding huge toy boxes from Target and everything else on sale being dragged down the walkways.
I work at Justice, but that didn’t mean the clearance-searching maniacs steered clear of the store looking for better bargains, because in reality, the store was ultimate chaos.

The store looked much like any other 40% off sale or super clearance sale we ever have plus about ten times the people looking for holiday gifts, birthday gifts for next summer just because it was cheap, and parents taking their kids on shopping sprees and taking advantage of the sales.

Seeing all of the shoppers did make me jealous and the food court was just as insane and packed full of people and things. I should have contemplated going shopping instead because work was nothing short of hectic.

I remember a few years back, my mother and I had woken up at 4 a.m. to get the cheapest deal on Kitchen Aid mixers at Kohl’s. Apparently everyone else had seen the commercial on TV as well, because when we got there all they had was a huge line stretching around the entire store and sales that weren't worth waiting in line for. I don’t remember exactly, but I’m pretty positive we just went home after that.

Aside from working today and that one Kohl’s venture in the past, I haven’t really taken any intense trips to brave the Black Friday crowds unless I find something I really need or want for a great price, which is rare.

Things I have learned: Get up early because you still have a tiny chance at getting what you woke up for, be prepared to be patient and focused because everyone else wants what you want and make a list of what you’re after. I definitely lost count of how many parents walked into Justice today asking if we have any more of that one blue sweater you have to buy for all the girls in the family or if I can check back stock for the extra purses, because honestly, someone probably got to them first.

For those who were not braving the cold weather Friday morning, be sure to check out all the insane online deals today for Cyber Monday!!

Ashley Loose