Sunday

Hair, Makeup, and Straight-Legged Jeans

I'm not going to lie to you, humble readers. I'm a little behind in the fashion world. Sure, being a fashion photographer is among my possible career paths, but up until recently I've just hoped that some designer will place a model in front of me and say, "Go at 'em!"

After some knee-deep research, I'm a little--how do I say this nicely?--disappointed. Sure, trends like bodices, the cigarette pant, and underwear-type ensembles are all very exciting, and very aesthetically pleasing... on some people. The models themselves are beautiful, and as they're walking down the runway, I can't but help thinking, "I want that!" But as soon as I turn toward the full-bodied mirror, I lose inspiration. What I want to know is how this fashion is applicable to me.

Now, I know a lot of women complain about the bodily idealism featured on runways and its irrelevance to real women. I know it's an overused topic of debate that will never go away. And I know that there are a lot of department store alternative to brand-name runway looks that are really becoming on almost every body type. However, what I don't understand is how a single season of clothing (I'm referring mostly to the clothing featured in this year's Fashion Week and trends that are advertised for Fall/Winter 2010) can be so incompatible with my personal features.

Let me describe myself to you, so you get a better understanding of where I'm coming from. To begin with, I have very voluminous, very unmanageable curly hair. I'm legally blind, so oftentimes I'm stuck wearing glasses because contacts are both exhausting and expensive. I've got a round face of uneven skin tone, a big bust, a tummy, and stick thin legs. I'm also 5'3".

So when I see a model with a choppy pixie cut, "natural" makeup highlighting a strong bone structure, a form-fitting or low-cut top, and a high-waisted pant, straight-legged pant, I cringe. All seem to be the hottest looks for this year, and yet not a single one applies to me. Sure, we're making our way into the fall season, where covering up with bulky layers is the most exciting thing to do, but what am I supposed to do about hair? About makeup? About those damn high-waisted, straight legged jeans? Empire waists and conservative tops may be acceptable, but unless they're paired with some extraordinarily tight pant (further accentuating a mismatched top and bottom) or some radical haircut, they don't seem to scream, "I know what I'm doing."

All I'm saying is, this year seems like it would be great in front of the camera, but behind it, I'm struggling over what to tell my hairstylist.

--Sierra