Saturday

Arizona State’s newest Fashionista

The following is a profile article written by sophomore Journalism student, Randi Stevenson.


Erin Browner shifts through her stuffed drawers and color coordinated closet looking for the perfect shirt to compliment her new skinny jeans and vintage earrings. Waking up with nothing but style on her mind, this young fashionista has made it a priority to study hard, pursue what she loves and look fabulous all the while.
“ I wanted to get away from home and create my own life where I could create my own path,” the freshman said about leaving her hometown of San Carlos, Calif. to study at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University.
“I wanted to go south for the heat, and when I saw ASU had a journalism program, I knew it was the right place for me I guess.”
After four years of setting trends throughout the halls of Carlmont High School, she decided that it was time to truly run with her passion. Browner dreams of one day being the fashion desk editor at a large magazine or the New York Times fashion and style section; however, she could also see herself working in public relations somewhere in fashion market.
“It’s a category where my opinion matters,” Erin said about the fashion industry,
“and I believe I can have a positive influence and make a difference when it comes to trends and popularity.”
News Director at the Blaze 1260 AM, ASU’s campus radio station, Bri Valdivia has been a mentor figure to Erin this semester. She said that although the news department doesn’t have anything fashion-based yet,
“There is an art behind it, and you have to be really intuitive to see that as a journalist. It would be fun to put something like that on air.”
Browner’s earliest icons date back to Audrey Hepburn, as the poster hanging in her room proves; but she admitted to having a new guilty pleasure.
“I’m obsessed with online bloggers,” she said, “I love reading about innovative clothing ideas and I think they’re real pioneers in the industry.”
Erin’s roommate, Chelsea Vmystir, said that she loves being roommates with a fashion goddess because she always has unique ideas about what to wear.
“She also has exclusive veto power if I put on something terrible,” Chelsea added.
Besides simply reading about and indulging in style every chance she gets, Erin also founded somewhat of a pioneer in the industry as well: ASU’s first fashion journalism club. As a current freshman, Browner took it upon herself to gather members, create a website and build the club from scratch, with hopes that the organization will inspire fashion lovers to join and not feel pressured to go into hard news.
“I started it just because I was interested in it, and its objectives so far are online blogging and brainstorming ideas. I even have a few professional speakers scheduled,” said Erin.
Between living and breathing shoes and bags Erin Browner said she considers her life made, but with her new found love for sundresses and flats, her mornings are filled with harder decisions every day.
Erin laughs, “At least if all else fails, it’s easy to pull off the simple jeans and t-shirt look in this state.”